Everyday, medical technology advancements help save the lives of patients in Canada by improving the accuracy of diagnoses, enhancing treatments and cure of diseases, reducing long-term disabilities and helping to provide better medical care. Covering a wide range of products, medical technology examples include pacemakers, artificial heart valves, hip implants, synthetic skin, scalpels, medical laboratory diagnostic instruments and test kits for diagnosis. Software, either stand alone sold for the purposes given in the definition of a device (Patient Management Software) or used as a component to a device, is included in the term "medical device".
Medical Devices are defined in the Food and Drugs Act (the "Act") and the Medical Devices Regulations. For more information about the regulations, click here.
• MEDEC represents over 100 member companies in Canada involved in the research, supply and manufacturing of medical technologies.
• The size of the Canadian medical device market in 2012 was valued at approximately $6.8 billion, making it the 9th largest worldwide.1
• More than 1,500 medtech companies operate in Canada.2
• Medtech companies are located across Canada with the highest concentration in Ontario and Quebec.3
• Canada exports approximately $1.8 billion of medical technology and imports $7-billion.4
• The largest markets for export are the United States Europe, Middle East South America and China.5
• The Canadian medtech industry employs more than 35,000 Canadians with expertise across multiple disciplines, including but not limited to: life sciences, professional services, biomedical engineering, biological sciences, health economics, information technology, law, manufacturing, nursing, physical sciences, regulatory and quality, sales and marketing, and public affairs.
1 Industry Canada. 2013. Medical Device Industry Profile 2013 – Canadian Life Sciences Industries. http://www.ic.gc.ca/eic/site/lsg-pdsv.nsf/eng/h_hn01736.html
2 Health Canada, 2013. http://webprod5.hc-sc.gc.ca/el-le/start-debuter.do?lang=eng
3 Industry Canada. 2013. Medical Device Industry Profile 2013 – Canadian Life Sciences Industries. http://www.ic.gc.ca/eic/site/lsg-pdsv.nsf/eng/h_hn01736.html
4 Industry Canada. 2011. Medical Device Industry Profile 2013 – Canadian Life Sciences Industries. http://www.ic.gc.ca/eic/site/lsg-pdsv.nsf/eng/h_hn01736.html
5 MEDEC Industry Market Data Survey, 2013.